CAN WE GET LEGALLY MARRIED?
To be legally married in Australia, a person must:
- Not be married to someone else
- Not be marrying a parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, brother or sister
- Be at least 18 years old, unless a court has approved a marriage where one party is aged between 16 and 18 years old
- Understand what marriage means and freely consent to marrying
- Use specific words during the ceremony (That’s were I come in!)
- Give written notice of their intention to marry to their authorised celebrant, within the required time frame. (Me again!)
You don’t have to be an Australian citizen or a permanent resident of Australia to legally marry here. You can find marriage visa information on the Department of Home Affairs website, if you hope to live in Australia after your marriage.